Purchasing a car can be an exciting time, but it can also be overwhelming because of the number of choices you have to make. The first major decision when making a purchase is whether to buy a new or used vehicle. Although both have their benefits, for many buyers purchasing a used vehicle provides far more positives than buying new.
The Benefits of Buying a Used Car
Choosing to purchase a used vehicle for your next car can provide many excellent perks compared to a new car purchase. Some of the best reasons to choose a used car over a new one include:
- Lower asking prices: Purchasing a used car allows you to avoid paying the premium that gets attached to new vehicles. This means you can get the make and model you want at a more affordable price, or you can purchase a more expensive option while maintaining the budget that would allow you to buy a less luxurious model new.
- Increased value retention: As you own a vehicle, the mileage you put onto it and the passage of time leads to deterioration of its value. The depreciation curve for cars slants significantly towards the first years. This means that by buying a car that is just a few years old, you benefit from the most price reduction and minimize the effect of depreciation after your purchase.
- Modern reliability: Although it's true that they don't make cars like they used to, it's not true in the way that many people think. Modern vehicles are actually built to last for much longer times and higher mileage levels than older vehicles. This means there's never been a better time to buy a used car, because it is likely to have more years and miles left in it than a used car in the past.
- Certified pre-owned protection: When you purchase a vehicle from a used car dealership, you have the option to browse through their certified pre-owned used vehicles. In order to earn a certified pre-owned designation, a car must undergo an extensive check of all of its important systems in order to verify that it is in good condition. Certified pre-owned vehicles also often come with a warranty. This can add security similar to buying a new car with your used car purchase.
- Comprehensive vehicle histories: With the increasing prevalence of digital records on car accidents and maintenance, it's never been easier to get a comprehensive background check performed on a vehicle. With a detailed car history you know all the work that has been done on a vehicle prior to you purchasing it, so there are no surprises for you after you leave the lot.
- Lower insurance costs: The savings that buying a used car provides don't stop at the dealership. Because you are purchasing a vehicle that has a lower remaining value than a new car, it can be less expensive to insure it as well. This means that you save both upfront when buying the vehicle and throughout its lifespan when you pay a lower insurance premium every month, maximizing your total savings.
Why Choose a Dealership for Your Used Car Purchase?
When making a used car purchase, the two primary options are buying from a dealership and buying from a private seller. Choosing to purchase from a dealership provides many excellent benefits that a private seller simply cannot match, including:
- Wider selection: Finding a used car at a dealership is the simplest way to ensure you get matched with the right vehicle. Because a dealership offers many vehicles on the lot to choose from, you can browse the entire selection in order to narrow down your possibilities and ultimately find the best option within your budget.
- Expert advice: Shopping at a dealership also allows you to benefit from the knowledge and experience of the staff working at the dealership. They can speak with you about what you're looking for, ask important questions to help them better understand your situation, and then highlight the most attractive options for you. A sales professional may be able to recommend a car that fits you well you would not have thought to try.
- Dealer reliability: When buying from a private seller, you do not benefit from the reliability that a dealership can provide. Because dealerships sell many cars every day and benefit significantly from recommendations and repeat business, it is in their best interest to ensure that you have a positive experience with your purchase. This can give you peace of mind knowing that you are getting a fair deal and that they are providing all the important information about the used car you purchase.
- Warranty opportunities: When buying from a dealership as opposed to a private seller, you have the opportunity to inquire about warranty options. This offers protection for your vehicle in the event of any unforeseen problems or damage as a result of an accident. This can significantly reduce risk levels when making a used car purchase.
- Easy trade-ins: If you are planning to trade in your current vehicle while purchasing your used car, there's no easier way than working with a dealership. Because a dealership is in the business of selling used cars, they can purchase your vehicle from you and apply the money directly to your down payment. This not only reduces the cost of your used car purchase but also makes selling your vehicle easy as you do not have to spend time listing it and meeting with private buyers.
If you're in the market for a car or truck, buying a used car allows you to get the most bang for your buck. The experts at CarSmart of Farmington are here to help pair you with the perfect used car for your needs. Come out to visit us at the dealership or get in touch online to see how we can help you find your next car today. We know you'll love what you find here.